Pages

Wednesday 2 December 2020

Seamwork Bobby Dress - Toile

I've become a bit more interested in trying some new-to-me patterns. I've not had much luck with Seamwork patterns to date but thought I might give their Bobby Dress a whirl with an idea that perhaps it could be a Frocktails contender for whenever we can have a Frocktails again. 

I found some fabric at my local MyHung - it didn't have much hanger appeal to me in the shop but sewn up I think it looks quite nice. 


To start with I made a toile of the lined bodice - a size 18 Curvy. It was quite low cut (too low cut for my preferences) and I think the bodice needs a bit more length on me. The pattern suggests you either reinforce the V-neck with interfacing or elastic. I used interfacing but the neckline stretched a bit. 


I was lucky to nab some more of this fabric for a Take 2 of the bodice. I raised the v-neckline an inch and instead of stabilising with interfacing I used clear elastic. I used clear elastic on both the outer and lining pieces and it feels to bulky to me - so perhaps I'd used interfacing on the lining and clear elastic on the outer next time?  I also think the armholes are a bit big/too low slung so need to think about that also. 


Overall I'm fairly happy with this dress, but it's only a toile so I don't think I'll wear this version. I added some length to the bodice but think I might remove a bit of length (Goldilocks much?) Next time I will shorten the skirt a bit and I want the armholes at the back to come over a bit more. My elastic also needs to be a smidgen tighter. 

I actually went back to My Hung and bought the last of this fabric that they had. I might use it for another go at this; but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of unpicking the skirt from the bodice so I can re-use it (albeit shorter) and salvaging the elastic also....but I might use a totally different bodice as this is not giving me life. 

----

Size: 18 Curvy
Modifications: so many; see above
Fabric: Polyester/Spandex from My Hung in Parramatta. 
Changes for next time: again, so many; see above! 

No comments:

Post a Comment