Pages

Friday 10 June 2016

Floral Mandy Boat Tee

I've gone ahead and lengthened the sleeves of Tessuti's Mandy Boat Tee in order to make myself a more winter appropriate top (not that winter has really showed its face in Sydney yet...but surely it's coming)? 

The fabric is a very floral, bright, colorful, non-wintry, drapey ponti-like fabric from My Hung in Parramatta. It was $6.50/pm and I initially bought it for a Gabby Dress but somehow didn't buy enough.


After trying my other Mandy Boat Tee on I measured that I'd need an extra 13cm to make the sleeves full length -- allowing for a 2cm hem.  The sleeve length is pretty spot on which is great.


However, (there's always a "however" with my sewing) I've obviously put on weight as the sleeves are a bit tight where the top joins the sleeve; and if I do this again I need to make the sleeve wider the whole way down the arm as I don't want the sleeve to be so body hugging. I also need to take a bit away from the arm hole on both the back and front piece - maybe a 1cm on each. That extra 2cm will make things more comfortable for sure. 


After I finished sewing the top I popped it in the wash (as I do with most of my makes) and I gave the sleeves a goodstretch when wet and now they fit OK. I actually do this with a lot of my ponti garments, especially pants as they tend to loose length somewhere in the washing machine.  Bizarre.

I wore this top out today and it was pretty comfortable - though it does tend to slide backwards off my shoulders like everything does. Choke alert. Stretching out the sleeves when wet was a good idea as it's made the top wearable...it was heading to the Vinnie's pile but has been given a reprieve.

---

Pattern: Mandy Boat Tee by Tessuti
Size: One size fits...most
Modifications: lengthened hem by 6cm and sleeves by 13cm, and the sleeves/arms have been made bigger for me a sewing class I did at Tessuti.
Fabric: Knit from My Hung in Parrmatta
Changes for next time: need to make the arm hole bigger (scoop out 1cm from bottom of front + back piece, made sleeve wider by 1cm on each side and make sleeve wider the whole way down to the wrist/elbow).

No comments:

Post a Comment