Given that I've invested so much time and money in this hobby (I shudder to think how much I've spent on classes and fabric) I'm NOT ready to throw in the overlocker just yet. So when I saw the lovely Bodhana wearing the relaxed-fit Tessuti Pia Dress at a recent Spoolettes meet up I thought it might be the perfect dress for me.
I decided to use this crazy bright orange fabric that I picked up for $10 for 3 meters at the recent fabric-a-brac market. I'm not really sure why I bought this fabric as it's pretty full on...it's a whole lot of orange! But good news is that it's prefect to make a stunt dress...
Good news is the dress fits...and it has some pretty great pockets. So double YAY! I've not bothered to finish the dress (so it's not hemmed, nor have I bound the arms or neck) as I'm not going to wear it...that colour is TOO much.
I am definitely going to make this dress again once the weather warms up...but there are few changes I want to make:
- Take the dress up about 100m as it's REALLY long (I'm almost 5ft 8" and it's nearly on my ankles)
- Modify the sleeves to be more tank-like as I'm finding this style is restricting my arm movement a bit and it makes me feel like I'm "surrounded by fabric"
- Make in a more soft, drapey fabric
- Scoop out the neck a little bit
- Sew a smaller seam allowance as it's a smidgen snug on my bust and caboose
I really LOVE the pockets on this dress and the way the "bag out". I did have a major spatial meltdown though trying to fit them together as the pocket and pocket facing are two different sizes...which I totally did not realise until I came to put them together.
So watch this space...this dress will be making a comeback once summer rolls around.