Saturday, 25 June 2016

Linden Sweaterdress - an experiment

I've been trying VERY hard this winter to find some casual style tunics or dresses for weekend wear - no luck in the shops, and to date I've not had a lot of luck sewing dresses either, Gaby Dress aside.

After I finished my last Linden Sweatshirt I started to think about adding length to the pattern and making it into a dress. A quick rummage in the stash unearthed some weird "ponti" bought online for Girl Charlee that I was willing to sacrifice for my toile. About an hour later my experiment was over.

All in all this was a very successful experiment, though I should have sized down to a size 16, and not used the size 18 that I had cut out for my non-stretchy fabric. The dress is clearly too big and also a bit long. I added 10" to the length which is a bit too much - so next time I'll chop off an inch. I think next time I'll just downsize overall to a size 16 - I was thinking about grading out to an 18 at the hips, but I don't think it's necessary. I won't be wearing this dress out of the house as it looks and feels quite "sloppy" but it kinda feels like a nice PJ dress...cozy.

I've bought myself a nice wool blend from Tessuti and am keen to make myself another Linden Sweaterdress ASAP - especially now that winter seems to have finally arrived in Sydney. Brrr...


Pattern: "Linden Sweatshirt" by Grainline Studios
Size: 18
Modifications: lengthened hem by 10"; sleeves shortened by 1", added 1cm to the width of the neckband
Fabric:  Some weird ponti-esque type fabric from
Changes for next time: size down to a size 16 and add 9" to the length.

No comments:

Post a Comment