Pages

Friday 1 May 2015

Mabel Skirt - seeing double

What's better than one Mabel Skirt? Two Mabel Skirts of course!


The first Mabel here is made from an AWESOME leopard print Ponti from Tessuti. I don't know about you, but for me leopard print is totally a neutral in my wardrobe and I may have squealed when I saw this in the store! 


My second Mable is also in a great Ponti from Tessuti - it's called "Silhouetted Narita Ponti". I initially bought 1.4m of this Ponti for a dress but it wasn't wide enough to cut both panels on the fold, so I bought a 0.9m remnant online...which wasn't long enough for the dress I had planned (d'oh)...hence we have this here Mabel skirt. The great thing about this skirt is that it doesn't use a lot of fabric so you can afford to splash out on something that does cost a bit of cash (this is $42/m).


The pattern on the Narita is a bit hard to see so here's a close up...I love the geometric, but subtle pattern. It comes in two other colourways, both of which I quite like...I may (or may not) make up another Mabel in one of those colours. Watch this space.


I don't have much more to say about this pattern that I haven't already said on other posts. I've made about six Mabel's so far (including these two) but have only kept three. I think this skirt sews up best for me in a softer ponti, rather than a spongy neoprene or stretch woven.


The skirt could probably be a bit looser around the tummy and thighs, which would be easy to fix I guess but just moving things out from the fold a little (I've put on a bit of weight since my first make) but it's stretchy, and I wear a long top {ALWAYS with this type of skirt} so...whatever)! As per usual the skirt is lengthened by 15cm and I've sewn clear elastic between the waistband and waistband lining to stop the skirt falling down (it's WAY too loose without it)

 

Pattern: Mabel Skirt by Colette Patterns
Size: XL
Modifications: lengthened by 15cm and clear elastic sandwiched between waistband and waistband lining
Fabric: Ponti from Tessuti x 2
Changes for next time: nought

No comments:

Post a Comment