Pages

Sunday 26 April 2015

Me-made May 2015

I, Melanie from made-by-melanie.blogspot.com, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '15. I endeavour to wear a me-made garment once a week for the duration of May 2015.

Now to you hardcore me-made May'ers this may seem like a bit of a lame self-challenge but for me it will be a big step in my sewing journey.  Even though I've had a lot of sewing fails I have had a few wins. The wins make me feel good but I still do  not wear my me-made garments.  They may get one or two outings and then get relegated to the bedroom floor; or to the charity bag. I just feel they are not as good as RTW and feel a bit...weird and conspicuous wearing them.

I've been sewing for nearly two years now but (maybe surprisingly) I don't have enough me-made garments for everyday.  The photo below shows everything that I've made that I am still on possession of (minus two Party Peplum Dresses, two Coco dress and a Myrtle that I forgot about - shame on me). I would say that I would possibly wear a third of what is shown here - just due to fit, comfort and general non-ugliness of the garment.


I also find May a tricky time of year in Sydney. Is it hot? Is it cold? Who knows what weather you're going to wake up to each day.



The only bit of prep I want to do for May is to fix the seams on the yellow + white jumper....it's my favourite make but is falling apart as I had no idea that you couldn't see a garment on a 3 spool overlocker (as there's no safety stitch). I might also make a Casual Lady Dress in blank ponti as I think that would be a handy addition to the wardrobe.

Mel x

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Me Made May. :) I'm taking part for the first time too and I'm very curious about what will happen. ;) I did the "one garment each day" pledge but I've no idea if that's going to work. We'll see. I wish you a good month. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad to see you're taking part. I'm only doing one item a day too. I've been sewing six years and still don't have enough to get me through a whole month. My style has changed too much in that time and pieces have been moved on or fallen apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your collection of me mades look so pretty all together, you can certainly see a style developing there as you gain confidence with your skills. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete