Pages

Friday 11 December 2020

Wiksten Haori Jacket #2

I had always intended to make a shorter Wiksten Haori Jacket and had cut one out a while ago in this lovely slub-denim from Spotlight. And then it sat on my "to be sewn" shelf. I had been given some cute lining from Catherine and then spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted the sleeves to look rolled up; as well as how I wanted the pockets to look.

Last week I went out for a work dinner - it was hot, but also a bit cool (ugh, Sydney weather) and I realised I didn't have a light jacket....which is how I came to make this unlined Wiksten Haori Jacket. 

I have made the size L (a size smaller than my first Haori) and changed the pocket style - they are unlined (but the top is reinforced with some iron-on-webbing-stuff from Spotlight). I like the way that sewing the sides of the pocket into the jacket results in a nicer looking finish than I can get with a patch pocket.


As I was sewing this and trying on mid-make I wasn't so sure about it. I was feeling certain it wasn't going to fit but once the neck-band is on (that I halved in width) it's a good fit. I did sew the side seams a little wider in order to fit all the bulk of the pockets etc...but it fits and the more I try it on the more I like it. Like last time I halved the collar width but I decided not to interface it as I didn't want it to be stiffer than the rest of the jacket.

------

Pattern: Haori Jacket by Wiksten
Size: L, short-length
Modifications: halved the collar width, changed the pocket style, shortened sleeves 3cm, unlined
Fabric: Slub Denim from Spotlight 
Changes for next time: ?

No comments:

Post a Comment