Pages

Thursday 15 November 2018

Dress No. 1 from 100 Acts of Sewing

Here's something you probalby weren't expecting from me! A WOVEN dress! And, I had to trace the pattern! I don't even know who I am anymore.




I got it into my head that I wanted to make the Dress No. 1 from 100 Acts of Sewing but I kept putting it off as the pattern was only availble as a paper copy that I had to order from the USA. Eventually I caved and forked out A LOT of money to have it shipped here. And then I had to trace it TWICE as my muslin was too small across the bust.




For the price I paid I have to say I was expecting...more. The pattern is just a single sheet with the same piece for the front and back (good if you have no boobs, or boobs on your back to even things up). In order to lower the neckline the instructions have you cut into the front of your dress to get your desired neck depth. Hmm....I'd rather do this via the pattern than cutting into the actual, partially-made, dress.







The second muslin turned out OK...but I hate the fabric (it's stiff and crunchy and feels yuck) and the addtion of the fox patch is so twee that it feels like I made a dress for a very large two year old (ie me). The Liberty bias binding is pretty, but the extra folds it has made it hard to handle. And...after I attached the binding under the arms I decided the underarms were too gaping so some surgery happened. I'm going to cut this up to use for bag lining so all is not lost.








Third times the charm as they say. Well, sort of. 



This dress looks pretty (made in fabric from Tomato in Japan) but I didn't find it very comfortable wearing. I'm used to s-t-r-e-t-c-h in my clothes and wearing this dress made me feel like I was in a straight jacket even though it's basically a roomy sack. I think some of the issues may be attributed to the fact that the fabric is very stiff...it would probably be nicer to wear in a soft fabric with lots of drape.








After sewing the chambray version I decided that I really dislike patch pockets. I feel like there's no way for me to attach them without them looking like a craft project. I added pockets into the side seam and I really like them. I stitched the down to the front of the dress to stop them flapping about and getting bunched up.



I wore this dress out last Sunday to the Sydney Spoolettes inagrual Croqs and Frocks event. I won my first game so thought that was a good time to retire from my Croquete career and sit in the club house keeping cool and eating snacks.








------

No comments:

Post a Comment