Blah blah blah...after weeks and weeks and lots of dollars I finally have my Ponti Gabby Dress. And here she is...
I really like the way this dress looks BUT the fabric is SO heavy and stiff (something you don't notice when it's just a little skirt) that it's a bit of a weight-lifting mission to wear it. I probably also need to figure out the proper size to cut for this dress as I cut the L, sew it on my overlocker with a seam allowance of 1.5"...and it's always too big. So then I go and shave off the width of the overlocking...still too big...so I do the same thing again, which has resulted in a good body fit, but I do wish sleeves (or perhaps across the top of the back) had a bit more room.
I also have to admit that I totally cheated when I came to finishing this dress. I wanted a nice "professional" finish on the sleeves and hem but I wasn't confident that I could achieve it so I took the dress up to the local alterations place (ie "The Rip Off Shop") and got them to finsih it. $35 later (plus however much I spent on the fabric - I've totally lost track) we have a beautifully finished dress.
So whilst I love the way this dress looks it's not all that comfortable and I won't be wearing it for a day sitting around in the office. That said I think it's perfectly fine as a going out dress and I actually wore it to dinner last weekend at one of Sydney's most fancy restaurants, Rockpool Bar and Grill. I thought I might be little "too casual" but compared to what some people were wearing I was pretty dolled up. I felt good - stylish and modern and the dress felt quite OK to wear. I think it might also become a Frocktails dress - I like that if I get hot I have short sleeves which makes all the difference in a hot room.
Pattern: "Gabby Dress" by Tessuti
Size: L, sewn with 1.5" seam allowance and then shaved off the overlocker seam (so maybe 1/2"); and same again from the bust down.
Modifications: Added a neckband.
Fabric: Ponti from Tessuti
Changes for next time:would like to make a longer sleeve version for winter.